Sometimes a particular app or utility we offer gets old, and we have no intention of updating it, generally because of lack of customer interest. Discontinued programs we do not promote at all, have no web page for, and do not appear in our regular store. Deprecated ones we have no current intention of updating, label the web page as such, but do still have a page for and store presence (ScanFont, BitFonter).
Mostly, we discontinue: just remove those product pages and discontinue the product entirely. I have done this with a number of things we have offered, such as FOGlamp (it converted Fontographer native files directly to FontLab Studio—newer versions of FontLab Studio just open those old FOG files). In such cases, if you desperately need it for some reason, contact our sales department and they may be able to hook you up.
But sometimes a product has a peculiar combination of attributes:
- It wasn’t selling enough units that it makes sense for us to update it or make a new version.
- Some people who want it or need it have no reasonable other alternative. Maybe any competing products don’t have the same features, or are not offered on the same operating systems. Or they just do not exist!
So, we keep web pages live for these programs and sell them, because we know a few people really need them. We also label them as deprecated. What does that mean?
- We have no current plans to create a new version of this product. (Some or all functionality from this product might be folded into something else.)
- Support for this app has some limitations. We still try to support it, but if there is a problem that is a known bug… well, there may never be a fix. Our expertise/ability to support it will likely be in a gradual decline.
Mac-specific issues for deprecated apps:
- In some cases (BitFonter, ScanFont), the Mac version of this product no longer runs on any recent MacOS, and our solution for Mac users is to bundle the Windows app in a WINE wrapper. This makes a larger app that is running the Windows version under emulation, on a Mac.
- Generally, the Mac version of the app has not been updated to be “retina savvy.” This means that on any recent Mac hardware with a double-res “retina” monitor, the app will still work, but some elements of the app will run at half that resolution and seem blurry. This can be worked around to some degree by running your Mac in a higher but non-retina screen resolution, but that is a compromise between blur and things getting smaller. If you run at full resolution but non-retina, everything will be very crisp but half-size. A utility such as QuickRes or DisplayMenu can help give you more choices for non-standard Mac resolutions. (Note: Even some of our non-deprecated apps are not retina-savvy. I will have a separate post about this soon.)
Effective immediately, TransType 4 for Mac and Windows is on sale for half price for Cyber Monday 2016. Buy now!
- Full: was $97, now $48.50
- Academic Full: was $48, now $24
- Upgrade from version 2 or 3: was $39.95, now $19.97
Convert Mac and Windows fonts, reorganize font families, batch conversion, web fonts, special effects filters, and more! All in an easy-to-use app with a simple interface, so you don’t have to be a font geek to use it. All about TransType 4.
Sale ends Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 8 am PST.
We have a new Public Preview (5926) available!
Download the new Public Preview (5962) build:
- If you have a public preview build from within the last month, just launch it, and use the built-in auto-update feature. This should work even after the build expires at the end of the month.
- Otherwise, you can sign up for the Public Preview on the main FontLab VI page, and that will automatically send you an email with a link to the newest Public Preview download. Yes, this will work even if you already signed up before.
Discuss and post bug reports in our user forum.
We still don’t call this a “beta”; that would imply being feature complete and fairly stable. Although we are not there yet, stability and usability continue to improve.
UPDATE: This sale was Nov 31 – Dec 1, 2015. Sorry you missed it!
Yes, as a Cyber Monday special, we just marked down our flagship program, FontLab Studio 5. Regular price is US $649, now $324.50. Student/teacher pricing is also halved: regular US $325, now $162.50. Upgrades to FLS 5 from older/other FontLab products are also half price!
Plus, effective immediately, all new permanent licenses of FontLab Studio 5 from now until we ship FontLab VI will qualify for a free upgrade to FontLab VI when it ships next year! Yes, that includes upgrades and academic orders.
FontLab Studio 5.1.5 Mac is newly localized into French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese!
We have officially approved the most recent v5714 builds of FontLab Studio 5 for general release: these will be the official 5.1.5 Mac and 5.2.2 Windows releases. Compared to the previous 5.1.4 / 5.2.1 releases, this fixes 40 bugs, including 24 bugs present on both platforms, 7 Mac-only issues, and 9 Windows-only issues.
We are pleased to announce that preview builds of FontLab VI are now open to the public! No nondisclosure agreement needed.
See the main FontLab VI page to learn all about the app, preview features, and download a pre-release build to try it yourself!
Check the public FontLab VI forum to discuss features, interface and implementation, and report bugs to our eagerly waiting team.
At FontLab we have long believed in the value of education. So we have just added to and increased our educational discounts for students and staff, and are additionally adding a time-limited offer for free posters!
FontLab education pricing is now
half off regular retail
for full versions over $50.
80% off for one-year license!
Free posters with academic orders over $100 USD!
UPDATE: There’s an even newer version, 5714, released 9 Oct 2015.
We have just published FontLab Studio 5 for Mac and Windows
release candidate builds 5672. They have an updated mechanism for generating OTF fonts and many bugfixes. Please read the release candidate notes and download!
Free BitFonter 126.96.36.1995 (http://bit.ly/1Njr6tk) and ScanFont 188.8.131.525 (http://bit.ly/1HjtWxN) updates for Mac OS X available!