FontLab Studio 5 updates: 5.1.5 Mac & 5.2.2 Win
We have officially approved the most recent v5714 builds of FontLab Studio 5 for general release: these will be the official 5.1.5 Mac and 5.2.2 Windows releases. Compared to the previous 5.1.4 / 5.2.1 releases, this fixes 40 bugs, including 24 bugs present on both platforms, 7 Mac-only issues, and 9 Windows-only issues.
We strongly recommend the new versions for all 5.1 / 5.2 users. We also suggest them for 5.0.x users; although there are a few bugs introduced in 5.1 / 5.2 that are not yet fixed, overall we think these versions are better than 5.0.4 and earlier.
Mac users, please read the release notes for install details as well! Then download:
Mac Install Info
Unfortunately, due to some technical issues, the Mac installer and app are not “code-signed,” so Mac OS X sees it as coming from an “unidentified developer.” We realize this is not ideal, but we thought it would still be better to give you these bug fixes than to sit on the installer until we sort out the install issue. Thanks for understanding.
FontLab Studio Mac now has a user interface localized in seven languages! No longer just English — also French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese. You can also override the automatic language selection to get a different UI language.
To launch the Mac installer (and the app) the first time, please:
- Right-click (Ctrl-click) on the installer (or the installed application) in the Finder and choose “Open.”
- Click on “Open” in the dialog box that appears.
- You’ll only need to do this once to install, and once again on the app. After this it will just launch normally.
Windows Install Info & Python
(Updated 14 March 2016)
Since the release of 5.2.2 for Windows, we have encountered an compatibility issue with the newest Python 2.X, version 2.7.11. Version 5.2.2 will not launch with this version of Python installed, without extra measures. There are two possible solutions, below. (Note: you do not need Python installed at all to run FontLab Studio 5; it is just that if you do have it installed, this can be an issue.)
- Note that it must be a 32-bit version of Python installed. FontLab Studio 5 will not work with a 64-bit Python. (32-bit Python will run fine on a 64-bit version of Windows.
- One option is to install Python 2.7.10 instead.
- The other option is to do the following steps, to edit the environment variables via the System Properties dialog:
Changes & Bug Fixes in 5.1.5 / 5.2.2
There was one major code change. When generating OTF fonts, we no longer use the Adobe AFDKO code to generate the name table and OS/2 table; instead we rely on FontLab’s own code, which was already being used for these tables in TTFs. This change yields more consistent results between TTF and OTF, ensuring user-defined info shows up in the font regardless of format, and avoids surprise default results that are not visible in the FontLab interface.
Also, “language” lists were updated in “Additional OpenType names” tab of Font Info for Windows and Macintosh platforms in accordance with http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/name.htm.
Bugs which were both introduced and fixed during the development of this release are not listed.
Special thanks to Lucas de Groot for reporting at least 20 of the bugs we fixed.
Mac & Win dual-platform bugs
- The Preview panel doesn’t update when you browse through fonts in Font Info (worked in 5.0.4)
- Generating Unicodes using a .nam file fails on last glyph in font
- Underscore char not supported in the Family Name
- Component numbering display bug
- Generate Instance causes PFM Default Character field in Font Info to become empty
- Pasting from MM to single master glyph pastes all masters, not just the active layer
- [FATAL] Compiling Verdana Regular GPOS ‘kern’ feature fails (worked in 5.0.4)
- Underline and strikeout positions (and thickness) are changed on export to OTF
- CFF subroutinization nesting problem can cause glyph rendering problems in some fonts
- Disappearing outlines in one master of MM fonts
- Wrong tooltips in TT Hinting Options > Zones, and top zone can’t be changed after being set
- Metrics Window contextual menu issues
- Blue class kerning indicators not visible in Kerning Table of Metrics Window
- Metrics undo is applied only to the base component of composite glyphs
- “Digital signature” and “Trace Options” sections disappear from “Preferences” (Options) dialog after performing “Reset
- options to defaults” command
- Slanting in the Actions dialog does not work with decimals (fractional values)
- OTF only: export of “name” table loses non-ASCII characters, OS/2 table inserts default values for blanks,
- Add ‑Regular in auto-generated PS FontName and Full Name
- Using tab key between Metrics windows fields disables further glyph editing afterwards
- Pasting from EPS scales inconsistently
- Component shift doesn’t work in Generate Glyphs dialog
- Trying to generate a font containing 65536 glyphs causes lock up instead of warning
- Hidden classes sometimes get deleted during re-ordering
- Font create date not editable and auto-set to current date/time in OS X 10.9+
- Printing fails on OS X 10.9+ (Out of memory error)
- Copy Font Info dialog: missing Select All/None buttons
- Underscore and digits are not allowed in PostScript Name
- Menus disappear if user chooses a Workspace with a non-ASCII character; app must be restarted with Control pressed to fix
- Wrong Type 1 hinting rasterizers in Hinting Preview
- Applying any saved workspace using the Window>Workspace menu shifts all toolbars
- Customized vertical global guideline colors lost when .vfb is saved and reopened
- Temporary files are not deleted when font generation fails (causes font generation problems afterwards)
- Typing very long Metrics preview strings can cause crash
- Transformation “Mirror” buttons require two clicks
- Menu shortcuts do not work when the mouse cursor is above a beveled button in a panel
- Switching between masters using keyboard shortcut doesn’t update Masters and Axis panels
- The Meter panel doesn’t stick around when you close and open glyphs
- Bold effect in the Actions dialog rounds corners even when rounding option is off
- Distance/angle in the Meter panel doesn’t show info
Trackback from your site.