Do you love helping people & teaching?
Work from wherever you want, whenever you want. One weekly (virtual) meeting. Part‐time, paid at an hourly rate.
Apply to: “thomas” at the obvious domain.
This part‐time position will handle incoming requests for help using FontLab apps, primarily for FontLab VI — possibly others depending on your background and interests. The VI interface is largely new, and there are many new features. Currently support is primarily by email. This job is ideal for someone who has some experience with FontLab Studio 5 and is learning VI.
There is plenty to be done at FontLab, and an energetic candidate with varied skills and interests will be welcome to do other things too! In fact, given the right candidate, this position could be combined with one or both of our other part‐time positions: QA Tester and Documentation Writer.
- Familiarity with a font editing/creation app, preferably some with FontLab VI
- Ability to work independently, “self‐starter”
- Sympathy for end users
- Communicate well in written English
- Mac or Windows
- If Mac, 2560×1600 retina screen (or better) recommended.
- If Windows, 1920 x 1080 (or better) screen recommended.
Appreciated Bonus Attributes:
- Experience using FontLab VI, currently in Public Preview
- Interest in using FontLab VI as an end user
- Have both Mac and Windows computers
- or have space to install a Windows “virtual machine” on your Mac hard drive
- Respond to user inquiries via our support portal and user forums
- Understand user problems with the application; reproduce problems and determine if bugs exist
- If there is a user error or misunderstanding, help the user understand how to better use the software, by explaining things, quoting sections of the user guide, whatever is needed
- Explain features, bugs, and workarounds to users
- File new bugs in bug tracking system, explaining how to reproduce
- Verify whether supposedly fixed bugs are actually fixed
- Point out when existing documentation (or video) is unclear or incomplete
Possibilities for Growth
- Help write and edit FontLab VI documentation
- Create tutorial/educational videos for FontLab VI
- Make product workflow & feature suggestions
- Test and write bugs on TransType and other products
- Depending on timing of hire, might help us migrate to new support system
- You tell us what else you can do!