New DTL OTMaster 5: 25% off to Jan 6
DTL OTMaster 5 is here! It’s a major advance in OpenType proofing and table‐editing for Mac and Windows, and it’s 25% off until Jan 6, €191.25 instead of €255.
Upgrades are only €7.50 for registered users of OTMaster 3.7 until Jan 6 (€50 for users of older versions, and for everyone after Jan 6). Use the form at the bottom of our Upgrades page to order.
DTL OTMaster is a technical OpenType font editor developed by Dutch Type Library and URW++. The cross‐platform tool allows detailed examination and modification of any OpenType font (.otf, .ttf or .ttc). Font developers typically use OTMaster at the last step of font development — to perform last‐minute low‐level changes or in‐depth analysis and testing.
“OTMaster works with surgical precision: it will only modify the portions of the font that the developer wishes, leaving all other structures unchanged. This makes OTMaster a great companion to any font editor and an indespensable element even in the most complex OpenType font production workflow,” said Adam Twardoch, product and marketing manager at Fontlab Ltd.
OpenType fonts are constructed from binary SFNT tables, each performing a specialized task. For example, the “cmap” table maps glyphs to Unicode codepoints, the “name” table holds all internal font names, such as the family name, style name, copyright record or the EULA text. The “hhea” and “OS/2” tables provide information to the operating system about the font’s linespacing, character set, font weight and width, the intended scaling and sizing of superscript or subscript characters, and many other details. The “GSUB”, “GPOS” and “GDEF” tables hold all of the font’s advanced typographic OpenType Layout features.
OTMaster provides precise editing access to all OpenType font’s SFNT tables. You can view and modify nearly every field in each table.
OTMaster 5 adds support for all the competing color OpenType font extensions: Microsoft “COLR”/“CPAL”, Adobe “SVG ”, Apple “sbix”, and Google “CBDT”/“CBLC”, bringing it in sync with the latest font format specs.
OTMaster 5 also provides a flurry of more specialized tools:
- The Font Viewer allows you to preview all glyphs in a font, from all outline points to the rendered bitmaps at various sizes. (New: in OTMaster 5, you can narrow the view using various search criteria.)
- The Side by Side Viewer (improved in OTMaster 5) allows you to compare glyphs across a number of opened fonts, while the Color Viewer, the Embedded Bitmap Viewer and the Glyph Viewer allow you to examine specific aspects of each glyph.
- The Table Comparator and the Consistency Checker help you achieve consistent behavior of all fonts in a family or one font across different operating systems.
- With the GSUB/GPOS Table Viewer and the kern Table Viewer, you can perform detailed examination and do small modifications of the font’s layout behavior: kerning, mark positioning, contextual, ligature and other substitutions etc.
- The Text Viewer (completely new in OTMaster 5) is a comprehensive test environment for OpenType Layout features. You can preview customized strings, enable features selectively, choose the text script and direction, and export the renderings to PDF. OTMaster 5 integrates the cutting‐edge HarfBuzz OpenType Layout engine, allowing you to accurately test the shaping and rendering of complex scripts such as Arabic or Devanagari.
The Glyph Editor is a compact version of DTL FontMaster: it is a fully‐featured outline editor, allowing you to edit a glyph outline, import a glyph from and export it to EPS or SVG (so you can modify it another app and bring it back). You can change the glyph’s metrics, apply various transformations, automatic outline improvement operations, and autohinting. (New: in OTMaster 5, measurement, grid and other aspects of the Glyph Editor have been improved). With the Glyph Copy Tool, you can easily copy glyphs between fonts.
Trackback from your site.